Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Red Velvet Cake

About two months ago I had the best red velvet cupcake in the entire world. It was one of my co-worker's birthday and we had ordered cupcakes from Fox & Obel in Chicago. Those were so delicious, I could eat a whole dozen!
I knew there was something different in the flavor, it was not just a regular red velvet cake. I tasted them again, and realized that it was almond extract. And it was not just added to the cake, it was also in the cream cheese frosting. The frosting was not too sweet, just perfectly complementing the flavor of the cake. I tried to find a recipe that would incorporate almond extract - but I had no luck.




So last Saturday, I decided to make my own red velvet cake with a twist! It was a "test kitchen" experience, the cake turned out delicious - I have to say that, I almost recreated that flavor. And the only reason why I say almost is because I no longer remember the exact taste of those cupcakes. My brother and his girlfriend came over, we had some wine, and I was baking. Yes, it was late and we really wanted something sweet. I mean REALLY!



I baked the cake and let it cool down, but I was so curious to try how it taste that I cut into it about 2 minutes after I finished frosting. It was still little warm inside. ;) That explains why my pictures are so bad. I will be making that cake for Christmas again, so I will let it completely cool down, and let the frosting set.

Red Velvet Cake
  • 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 TBS cocoa powder (unsweetened)
  • 1 oz. red food coloring
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans or three 8-inch round cake pans. Into a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix food coloring and cocoa powder to form a paste, set aside.
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla, almond extract and cocoa paste. Add one third of the flour mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk. Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. Finally beat in the last third of the flour mixture, making sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda, it will fizz. Add it to the cake batter and stir well to combine. Divide batter evenly between the cake pans and place them in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. To remove the cakes from the pan, place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, then gently lift the pan. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
(double the recipe for this cake)
  • 1 - 8oz cream cheese, room temperature (I use Philadelphia)
  • 3/4 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup of powder sugar
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
Beat cream cheese with butter until fluffy, add vanilla, almond extract and lemon juice, add powdered sugar in 3 batches, beat few more minutes to get desire consistency. Frost the cake.

My brother had 3 large pieces of this wonderful cake that night! I can't wait to make it again in form of cupcakes! Delicious!

1 comment:

Linda said...

This looks like a really good recipe! I just looked at your blog and see that you did make the cupcakes.