Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey Leftovers - Sheppard's Pie

In the previous post I was raving about this potpie recipe I was going to make, it was going to include my turkey leftovers. I opened the fridge and saw the whole big container of leftover mashed potatoes. So, there goes my potpie... instead I made a turkey Sheppard's pie.
Few weeks ago my husband Tim asked me why I never made a Sheppard's pie before, and the answer is simple, I am not a big fun of those type of foods... I'll eat it, but if I have a choice of making something else, I'll make something else...



But this time, I decided to surprise Tim and make him one of his favorite childhood dishes. He was very excited to see the Sheppard's pie. I made a good size baking dish filled with bubbly mixture and mashed potatoes on top - he ate more than a half of it for dinner on Saturday!
LOL - and he loved it!

I didn't measure ingredients, just kind of eyeballed it.

I diced the medium Spanish onion, and sauted it with 2 tsp of butter and some olive oil. Slice about 6-7 medium mushrooms, and add to the onion, than add 2 crushed cloves of garlic, and about a 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped carrots, I skipped celery stalk, but you are more than welcome to add it. I sweat it all together on the skillet for a few minutes, and than I added chopped leftover turkey, mix it well and left to warm up on the low heat. The last we add some frozen peas.

In the other pan I malted 3 tsp of butter on low heat, and added 4 TBS of flour, whisk it all together well, so there are no curds. Add chopped thyme. Slowly add about 2 cups of stock (again, I eyeballed it - just add a little at the time, whisk and see how thick the sauce is getting. if too thick add more stock) Brink it to a boil. I also added a 1/4 of white wine, to break out the flavor. Seasoned with salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne for a little kick...

After the sauce was done I pour the mixture of vegetables and turkey into the sauce, stir it well and pour to the baking dish. Put a layer of mashed potatoes on top, bake in 375 for 30 minutes, until bubbles.

It was fast and easy to make considering all the leftovers...


No comments: