Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cinnamon Crepes

It's been so long since I posted last time. Work is busy, and I haven't had time to cook at all. Every evening I get home, make something really quick, and sit on the computer for couple of minutes hoping to get inspired by others, and I am so tired that nothing works... I should be able to have little more time shortly, and can't wait to get in the kitchen and make some good food.

I found this recipe in one of the magazines I subscribe, I think it's Shape. Crepes are very popular in my family, I grew up eating a lot of crepes. We call them "nalesniki". I have my family crepe recipe, but that will be for another post. I have couple of ideas for crepe filling, and I definitely will be making it shortly.

But for now, to fulfill my visual appetite I had to put this recipe on my blog. It seems like a healthier version of traditional crepe recipe. Looks really good, and I can only imagine that it tastes great.


This dessert has about a third of daily value of calcium and also a lot of vitamin C from the berries. To make it you'll need simple ingredients that you probably have n your pantry:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 ½ cups lowfat milk
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup lowfat vanilla frozen yogurt, softened
  • 1 ½ cups frozen unsweetened berries, thawed
  • powdered sugar (optional)
Place eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, milk, and oil in a blender; blend on low.

>Slowly add flours ½ cup at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender if necessary. When the batter is the consistency of heavy cream, pour into a bowl and refrigerate for 45 minutes.

>Coat an 8-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add ¼ cup batter to the pan. Using the tip of a spatula, quickly spread to form a 6-inch circle.

>Cook crêpe for 30 seconds or until lightly browned and crispy on the edges. Carefully fl ip with spatula. Cook 30 seconds more until second side is lightly browned. Repeat 7 times with the rest of the batter, respraying the pan between each crêpe.

>Spread 2 tablespoons frozen yogurt on each crêpe, then add 3 tablespoons berries. Roll up and serve with powdered sugar if desired.

****************

Crepes are pretty easy to make, but it's also not difficult to mess them up. The batter consistency should be much thinner than the traditional pancake batter. You need to be able ro swirl it on the pan easly, and fairly quick. They cook very fast.

{photo and recipe courtesy of Shape Magazine}

No comments: