Monday, November 24, 2008

Wild Rice, Cranberry & Walnut Stuffing

What a week! I am still fighting the cold, it got me pretty bad, I've been pretty sick, and not able to do much at all. Thanksgiving in 3 days and I am still finalizing the menu. I am so unprepared this year. Normally I know at least few weeks in advance what I will be making. I thought it was going to get less busy after the wedding, but for some reason, it's still going pretty fast.

I found this recipe on Whole Foods website, and I haven't made it before, but I bought it from the store, and it's pretty good. I am thinking about making something similar to stuff my cornish hens for Thanksgiving. I decided to make turkey and cornish hens, I want to keep it traditional but also at the same time add something different, it's going to be a surprise. They all expect just a turkey...



Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups uncooked wild rice or wild rice mix
2 cups uncooked basmati rice
2 cups dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped thyme
1 1/2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped
Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add broth and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in wild rice, cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes.


Stir in basmati rice, cover and simmer until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Stir in cranberries, parsley, thyme, and walnuts, cover and cook for 5 minutes more. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch baking dish. Transfer rice mixture to dish and bake until light golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.

No comments: