Thursday, November 20, 2008

Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatos

Last night I really wanted something with sweet potatoes, and I am not talking about marshmallows mashed sweet potatoes loaded with brown sugar and coconut... I say roasted! So I went to the produce market (my favorite in the city - Stanley's) and got some butternut squash and few sweet potatoes. I cubed them, sprinkled with olive oil and sea salt, placed on the baking sheet and to 400 degrees oven for 45 minutes.


It was sooooo yummy! I couldn't stop eating. The potatoes had a hint of sweetness, and the squash was just nice, soft inside and crunchy on the outside.
I even got Tim to have some. He actually thought it was just sweet potatoes, and after finish eating I told him what he really ate... ha ha ... I was surprised, he said he liked it... so, now we have a new side dish that he likes.... that means I can actually make it more often.



One thing I have to say - the squash is really hard, and it was very difficult to peel it. It is much harder than the sweet potato. I would suggest it to buy it already cut/cubed. I know Costco sells it, I saw it there. It will save you some time and it's safer... Oh, and I added one purple potato for some color... made it look more interesting...



This could be a nice, fall side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. Different take on the traditional sweet potatoes. And by the way, I am sorry to say that (no offense, please) - but I've been living in this country for over 8 years, and still can't get over the fact that sweet potatoes are mashed with bunch of brown sugar, coconut, and baked with marshmallows.... it's just so unappetizing! blehhh... is it a side dish or a dessert? I'm not sure, it's a potato but it's sweetened to its maximum.... I would rather eat an extra slice of apple pie or a huge piece of butter cream coconut cake... and it would taste 100 times better....
Sorry for all those who love this mushy mush... :)


1 comment:

Patsyk said...

You have a really nice blog! I just discovered butternut squash recently as well... and a tip someone gave me was to microwave the whole squash for about 4-5 minutes. This softens it up so that it is easier to cut into - I tried it and it worked so much better. If I can find it already cut up, I'll buy it that way instead... makes life so much easier!