Thursday, January 29, 2009

Easy Superbowl Chili

Before I moved to States, I never even heard of chili... so when I first tried it I didn't think anything of it - and now I really like it and I think it's a super easy thing to make anytime. From my own experience I know it always taste better the next day, so if you can I would suggest it to make it the day before you want to serve it.

The seasoning I use is the McCormicks Texas Chili Mix, I like it because it makes my chili dark, and it taste good, too... It's hard to talk about proportions here, just add more this or that to make it taste right - that's how I cook... for this chili I haven't used a recipe, I just threw bunch of ingredients to the pot, seasoned it and cooked for 3 hours on low heat. You can also use your crock pot if you don't want to have to stir it every 15-20 minutes.



The reason I call it adult chili - is because I use 2-3 cans of light beer, and most alcohol cooks off, I think some still remains in fully cooked product. Beer and a can of diced tomatoes - that's the only liquid I add. And it might sound strange, but the chili came out great!

Here is what I put into a big pot:

1 large or 2 medium diced onions and 1 large red pepper - diced, also - saute those 2 together until they're done, than I added 1 can of chili tomatoes (diced), you can use regular diced tomatoes instead, 1 can of black beans, 2 cans of kidney beans - make sure you rinse your beans before adding to the pot. 2 lb of ground beef - brown on the separate pan with some chili seasoning before adding to the mix. Next I add 2 cans of light beer (Bush Light) and added one package of Texas Chili Seasoning. You can use beef stock if you don't want to use beer, but it just tastes better. I also made it once with Guiness Beer... Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer for about 2 - 3 hours. Stir every 20 minutes to make sure that it doesn't stick to the bottom. After about 1 hour of cooking I try it and see if the flavor needs to be adjusted. I like to add 1 or 2 TBS of sugar, juice from 1 lime and 1 or 2 TBS of apple cider vinegar. Cayenne pepper to make it hotter. And if you think your chili needs more than 1 package of chili seasoning - go ahead and add more. I usually add some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. This is just how I make my chili and it comes out great, but I taste it like 20 times and adjust the flavors to make sure I like it. Serve it with green onions, light sour cream, mexican cheese mix and Tostido's Scoops...

1 comment:

Linda said...

This looks absolutely delicious!