Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Recipe Box: Easy Stuffed Mushrooms

Last Sunday, we were relaxing on the couch, watching movies, and all of the sudden I was craving a mushroom dish! I love mushrooms, all of them, at least all the eatable ones...
I had a package of baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, and a package ow white mushrooms, so I decided to make this quick and easy stuffed mushrooms.

First, I removed the stems from 12 bigger mushrooms, and cleaned them. I placed them on the glass 9 x 9 baking dish. I chopped (or you can use the grater, it works better, and saves time) the leftover stems, and added few (5-6) whole mushrooms to the mixture, make sure you chopp or grate those also, next I chopped one small spanish onion. Melted 3 tsp. of unsalted butter on the non-stick pan, added onion, cook for 3 minutes, next add chopped mushrooms, minced clove of garlic (or more - if you like), and saute it together until mushrooms are done. I added some freshed thyme and chopped fresh sage to bring up the flavor. Seasoned with salt and pepper, and added breadcrumbs, about 1/2 a cup or more. Mix it well on a low heat, make sure it's all combined in a paste. You can substitute breadcrumbs for cream cheese, it will make the stuffing very reach, and very tasty. Fill the caps with stuffing, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes... Sprinkle with fresh chives before serving... It tastes great!

This dish can be served as an appetizer or even a side dish! I made those last year for Thanksgiving as an appetizer, I served the version with cream cheese, and everybody loved it. It was gone in no time!


No comments: